Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Braid part 1

So. Braid.

It's unique. That's it's defining characteristic, something that has stuck with me as far as I've played. (Through world 3, but I missed a lot of pieces. Eight, I think.) I've never seen anything like the rewind that is the gameplay's biggest draw, and they sure came up with some really cool (and hard!) puzzles. For example, there are objects that are invulnerable to rewind, and you have to figure out how to get them where you need them to be. The story is there, but I haven't gotten far enough for it to mean that much. I can tell that it's definitely going somewhere, but for now I'm just trying to get that oh-so-annoying puzzle piece. It is innovative, immersive (amazingly so for an indie XBLA game), and, most importantly, FUN. I'd like to know how long it took how many people with how much money to make this game, especially compared to blockbusters like Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, or Mass Effect 2. (Man. Someone needs to make some new franchises!)

I'll do a full review covering specific aspects, but that's all on Braid for now, going to go play it some more! These sort of in between posts are for first impressions, what I'm thinking as I'm playing. (How in the world do I get up there?) :)

I do want to mention something I never realized before, after my last post. You can't write everything. Even if you write everything you think of while you're writing, you'll think of something else. You may forget something you were going to put. I can't believe I forgot to talk about Heavy Rain, as it so happens it was perfect, absolutely perfect for my argument. I'd also like to mention that the defining characteristic of games as art is that it allows you, as the gamer, to finish it. The artist, the developers in this case, give you the restraints and then set you loose. I bet some people would be a joy to watch compared to others. There's a certain beauty, I think, to watching a master at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment